We have put together the ultimate guide to building your own Lawyer SEO strategy. Our guide takes you through the complete SEO process, providing insights from our 20-plus years as a legal marketing agency. The tools we discuss in this guide are free to use and many are part of Google’s repertoire of free tools.
Use SEO to Get More Cases for Your Law Firm
Law firm SEO uses the power of search engines like Google and Bing to enhance a law firm’s online presence. This strategic process goes beyond just attracting traffic; it involves meticulously aligning a law firm’s website with the most updated Search Quality Guidelines for these platforms. By optimizing content, refining website structure, and improving technical aspects, law firm SEO ensures better organic rankings. This not only increases visibility but also strategically positions the law firm to attract and engage potential clients, promoting a digital presence that’s both authoritative and accessible.
SEO is an ongoing process that requires regular attention and updates to be effective. There is no secret sauce. As such, many law firms choose to work with an experienced law firm SEO agency.
Learn more about our SEO service here.
Click on our video and learn how SEO can get more cases for your firm from your website when your potential clients need to hire a lawyer. For more help and ease of access get our Consultwebs Law Firm SEO Book on Kindle. Or schedule a:
Lawyer SEO company with 25 Years Experience
There are several benefits to a search engine optimization strategy.
- Increased visibility: A well-optimized website is more likely to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs), making it more visible to potential clients searching for legal services.
- More high-quality cases: By appearing at the top of search results, a law firm is more likely to attract qualified leads who are looking for legal services in their area.
- Increased credibility: Ranking highly in search results can increase a law firm’s credibility and perceived authority in its area of expertise.
- Cost-effective: SEO is a cost-effective marketing strategy compared to traditional forms of advertising, as it allows a law firm to reach potential clients who are actively searching for legal services.
- Long-term results: Unlike paid advertising, which stops as soon as the budget is depleted, the results of a well-implemented SEO strategy can last for a long time.
Overall, implementing a law firm SEO strategy can help increase the visibility, credibility, and revenue of a law firm by attracting more high-quality cases through search engines. To see real results
This SEO for Lawyers Guide Covers
This guide is meant to give Lawyers a birds-eye view of their organic marketing. It will teach the basics of relevant lawyer SEO marketing topics and certainly give you a solid foundation for organic marketing. Each chapter covers what you need to know to understand and monitor a successful organic search engine campaign for your firm.
You can also find more of our insightful case studies.
Let’s dive in.
- In the first chapter of the guide, you will learn about the search engine ranking factors for lawyers to take into account when building a digital marketing strategy.
- Chapter two will go over what is working for other lawyers, with Competition Market research & keyword research, and what to look for to create relevant content like SEO-friendly blog posts.
- In the third chapter, we will guide you through the best practices in technical SEO for law firms and the steps to creating a winning site and converting landing pages.
- We will go over on-site and on-page SEO practices to achieve better organic results in the legal sector.
- In the fourth chapter of our guide, we will go over one of the most important sections for firms looking to rank in their surrounding area, Local search engine optimizations. Here we will see what it takes to build a local strategy, like a well-optimized Google Business Profile (previously Google My Business)
- One of the trickiest chapters, our the 6th one is on off-site SEO for lawyers. It goes over complex topics like backlinks, citations, and link building but in simple terms.
- To wrap everything up, in our last chapter we will go over how Law Firms can measure organic results using free tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
How Law Firm SEO Works
“How long until we see results?” It’s a rather common question that law firms ask when considering a new search engine optimization (SEO) campaign. This simple question has so many variables that are always changing and evolving. It is nearly impossible to answer with one definitive answer.
Starting a new campaign requires a ton of upfront research just to assess a firm’s current situation, determine what goals they want to achieve, and plan out an initial strategy. That alone can take several months. Once the technical work has begun, it can take a while for the campaign to get any traction and for the firm to start seeing results. While organic search results are very powerful, they do take time to obtain. This is not set in stone, great content will always have traffic as long as it is fresh, relevant, and useful to the user.
Multichannel approaches that include pay-per-click (PPC) advertising for lawyers, content development and promotion, and other online and offline activities can provide results while a firm’s website is in the process of obtaining organic rankings. In a competitive industry, like legal marketing, this can sometimes be a lengthy process, but there should be a noticeable change within a year. This does not mean that you can’t see traffic, engagement, and overall increase a lot sooner. If your optimized content is relevant to a user’s search, you should see results soon after your new content gets crawled and indexed by Google (or any other search engine).
We have created a list to provide you with a resource to help hold your web marketing vendor accountable.
Is SEO Effective for Law Firms?
Undoubtedly, SEO plays a crucial role in the success of law firms. Its importance goes beyond merely achieving higher rankings on Google. As an integral aspect of digital marketing, SEO helps generate organic traffic, enhances user experience, boosts lead generation, and promotes positive client reviews, among other advantages.
By implementing a well-structured SEO strategy tailored to the needs of a law firm, you can increase your online visibility, attracting potential clients seeking legal assistance. By focusing on relevant keywords, engaging content, and a user-friendly website, you can set your law firm apart from the competition and reap the rewards of a strong online presence.
Optimizing for other search engines like YouTube for video content is also important. Or Bing for example now the second largest search engine on the web outside of Google’s ownership. Bing is now a stronger competitor than ever before after the acquisition and integration of ChatGPT into its search engine. Google has answered back with their own A. I platform Bard. SEO will go through a major change in the next few years because of A.I. SEO will keep being effective but its process and strategies will also change dramatically. For now, it is important to understand its limitations.
SEO vs. PPC
Search engine optimization (SEO) and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising are two different methods to reach your target audience when they search for relevant keywords. The main difference between each approach is that you pay to appear in front of your target audience with PPC and SEO organically places you in front of your audience. When using PPC advertising, you pay the search engine where you want to advertise, for example, Google, when a potential client clicks on your ads (text, display, video…).
In simpler terms, SEO can be likened to owning a home, while PPC is similar to renting one. With SEO, you invest in optimizing your website as a valuable, long-term asset. As you enhance your site’s content, user experience, and visibility in organic search results, its value increases over time, leading to sustainable traffic and a more substantial online presence. If you stop investing in your home you probably won’t see a decrease in its value right away but it will if you don’t events in maintenance.
On the other hand, PPC is similar to renting ad space on search engine result pages (SERPs). You pay for the placement of your ads, which drives traffic to your site, but only for as long as you continue to invest in the advertising campaign. Once you stop paying for the ads, the benefits cease, much like a tenant losing the perks of their rented space after the lease ends.
While both SEO and PPC can generate traffic and boost your online presence, their long-term effects and investment strategies differ significantly. When it comes to the user, their journeys are very similar, the only difference is on what part of Google’s results page they clicked (the sponsor section, or Organic results). The other difference happens behind the scenes where Google charges the advertiser, once the user has clicked the ad and arrived at the chosen landing page.
Reaching your target audience quickly and directly comes with a price. The best alternative for new and well-established law firms is a healthy balance between strong SEO practices and PPC campaigns. Social media marketing and email marketing campaigns to nurture leads into clients. A mix of everything is necessary to succeed.
What Is the First Step in SEO for Law Firms?
Digital marketing is exciting and comparatively new to traditional marketing techniques. Rapid changes in methods and innovation sometimes overwhelm attorneys. This makes it seem as if lawyers can never catch up to the newest methods.
Famous baseball legend, Yogi Berra, is quoted as saying; “If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else”. Your first step to engaging in the best SEO practices for your law firm is understanding how SEO works. Specifically, you need to know what things Google algorithms look at to push search results to the top.
The next chapter on Lawyer SEO provides a broad overview of the ranking factors that Google uses to rank website pages, giving you the knowledge you need to build your digital marketing strategically in a way that gives you the best chance for success.