Family Law Marketing - What Divorce and Family Law Firms Need to Know
As a family lawyer, you are in tune to how your potential clients are different. They are not typically in that same panicked emergency situation that personal injury and criminal defense clients are often in. They are not struggling against a nameless, faceless insurance company or criminal justice system. Instead, their situations are often more delicate and emotional. People who are searching for a family lawyer typically do more research, gather more information, and take more time in their decision to hire an attorney.
What does this mean for your marketing? Basically, a general cookie-cutter approach to law firm marketing won’t work for your target audience. You need a tailored family law marketing strategy aimed specifically at grabbing the attention of your potential clients and converting them into quality leads. You need a strategy built on a deep understanding of the family law market.
At Consultwebs, we understand the unique aspects of digital marketing for family law firms. For more than 20 years, our company has been helping lawyers like you get more cases from the web. We take a results-driven approach to your marketing campaign. This means regularly reporting on the leads we are driving and tracking the quality. It also means providing clear metrics that show your return on investment. Ultimately, we aim to craft legal marketing strategies that pay for themselves.
Why Is Divorce & Family Law Marketing Different?
Marketing for divorce lawyers is different from marketing for personal injury, criminal defense, and other practice areas. Consultwebs recognizes this. Some of the unique marketing factors that family law firms have to consider include:
- You have to hook people during those informational searches at the top of the sales funnel. If they trust your information during the research phase, they won’t need to Google “divorce lawyer” when the time comes. If they’ve been getting their questions answered somewhere else, they are not going to turn to you.
- Your Google My Business (GMB) listing plays a surprising role in how clients research you. For many family law clients, their privacy is important. They want a law firm that is convenient, but not conspicuous. They can use your GMB to see where you are located, whether you are in a high-traffic area where they might be seen, whether you have a parking area that is hidden from the street, etc. You can use your GMB to give potential clients peace of mind about visiting your office.
- Your marketing should shine a spotlight on your personality and your firm’s culture. You need to develop a consistent voice that is clear in your written content, videos, social media messaging, podcasts, etc. Family law clients are much more likely to choose a lawyer based on personality and emotional connection.
- Your presence on social media is vital. Your potential clients are hungry for information. Your social media channels should keep them coming back for more ─ even when their case is over.
- Your firm benefits from focusing on long-term engagement and the lifetime value of a client. Family law newsletters, podcasts, and creative marketing tools are extremely valuable to keep your firm top of mind.
- Online reviews can prove more challenging for family lawyers. Because emotions are so high among your clients, as well as the opposing sides, bad reviews are bound to happen. They may be from people you did not even accept as clients. You need a smart strategy for addressing bad reviews and building your review base so the positives always outweigh the negatives.
The Consultwebs’ Approach to Family Law Marketing
Did you know that there are an average of 1.3 million searches for the term “divorce lawyer” every month? The clients are out there. You just need the right strategy to get them. At Consultwebs, we take a comprehensive approach to family law firm marketing. We help you balance the need for short-term bumps in business with long-term growth strategy. Our marketing experts will create an achievable plan to provide maximum return on your investment and set you up for the future. Here are the ways we help build successful family law practices:
SEO for Divorce Lawyers
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the basic foundation of a successful online marketing campaign. People rarely go beyond the first page of search results, so your website’s rankings are vital to gaining leads. For family lawyers, though, successful SEO goes beyond the homepage and top-level practice area pages. After all, most family law clients don’t start their research by searching for “divorce lawyer.” Their journey to finding a lawyer may begin with a question like: “Is cheating grounds for a divorce?” or “Should I want until after my children turn 18 to file for divorce?” Our SEO team uses extensive research and smart strategies to make sure your site contains optimized content that meets potential clients wherever they are in their journey toward hiring a lawyer.
PPC for Family Law Firms
Many family lawyers who come to us say they have tried pay-per-click (PPC) advertising like Google Ads without success. They fear throwing money away. And to be honest, you can easily waste money on a Google Ads campaign if you are working with people who don’t know what they’re doing. On the flip side, when you work with the paid advertising experts at Consultwebs, you get the benefit of years of experience running successful family law PPC campaigns. Our team focuses on providing a high return on investment as quickly as possible. We work to ensure you start seeing the top-quality leads you need to sign revenue-generating cases. In fact, we are happy to discuss with you the cost-per-lead and cost-per-case results we have achieved.
Social Media for Family Lawyers
Social media is much different for family law firms than for lawyers in other practice areas. That’s because the client journey is so long, and much information is needed along the way. Potential clients tend to gather a lot of information before taking the first step to even contact you. Your social media channels should be providing the information they need to take that step when they are ready. In addition, your clients want a lot of guidance on a range of matters along the way. Your social media posts can provide helpful tips on financial decisions, emotional health, family connections, etc. Your social media feed should build your firm up as a comprehensive resource for all things related to family law. Even after clients’ cases are resolved, they may rely on your social media to provide ongoing information on matters that could affect them down the line. All this keeps your firm top-of-mind, both for potential clients, former clients, and referrals.
Beyond an organic social media strategy, family lawyers also have a great opportunity in Facebook advertising. Most of your potential clients are on this platform, and Facebook gives you the ability to narrowly target the audience for your ads. You can craft ads that target clients of a specific gender, net worth, etc. (Our social media experts are happy to discuss in detail how we can help your messaging reach the exact audience you want to sign cases.)
Video Marketing for Divorce & Family Lawyers
As a family lawyer, you know that your connection with clients goes beyond just being their attorney. You are often forced to play the role of therapist, crisis counselor, and life coach. Your personality and bedside manner are important to clients. Videos are a great way to showcase these selling points. Videos on your website can help potential clients get a feel for who you are and how you talk to people. They showcase both your compassion and knowledge of the law. In addition, a strong video library empowers your clients to educate themselves and come to their initial consultation with a baseline of knowledge, ultimately saving you time.
Podcasting for Divorce and Family Law Firms
Podcasting is one of the family law marketing ideas that not many people consider. However, when you think about it, this is a natural fit. Because the “sales funnel” is so long for family law clients, a podcast provides a wide net for capturing potential clients who are at various points in their journeys. There is a lot of fodder for content because the issues your clients face are so wide-ranging and ongoing ─ even beyond their current divorce or child support battle. Like videos, podcasting also provides an opportunity for potential clients to get to know you and your personality. They can “meet” you before they actually meet you. Building this connection enables people to feel comfortable in taking that first step with you.
Web Design for Divorce Lawyers
Family law web design is a specialized field. Everyone wants their website to look nice, but the real purpose is to bring in cases. At Consultwebs, conversion is what drives our website designs. When potential clients arrive at your site, they should be able to find what they are looking for quickly. They should see a clear path to contact you. They should see that you understand them. Web design for family law should take a mobile-first approach to ensure your audience can access your site from the privacy of their phones. It should involve careful photo selection to ensure you are not alienating one gender (unless that is your goal). In addition, you may want to consider custom elements of design to protect your audience, such as an easy escape button that takes a visitor straight to an innocuous site if they need to protect their privacy quickly. Our knowledgeable web designers take into account your target audience while also following the best practices for optimization.
Content Marketing for Family Lawyers
Our family law marketing experts rely on detailed research and proven success to guide our content marketing strategies. We have developed an extensive database of search topics that signal intent to hire a family law attorney. Our content writers and editors, led by a licensed attorney, are masters at crafting static pages, blogs posts, infographics, ebooks, and other assets that your potential clients will find valuable. We work to ensure your content preemptively answers people’s questions and prompts them to contact you to discuss the specifics of their case.
Why Consultwebs Is the Best Choice for Marketing a Family Law Firm
- We do not take a cookie-cutter approach to law firm marketing. We tailor strategies to your family law practice.
- We understand the nuances of family law and what your clients are looking for. We help you meet potential clients where they are and keep them engaged until they convert.
- We develop a comprehensive marketing strategy for your family law firm. The Consultwebs team is made up of proven experts in SEO, paid advertising, web design, social media, video marketing, podcasting, and content marketing ─ all with an exclusive focus on the legal field.
- Everything we do is driven by data and measured by your return on investment. We want you to hold us accountable for your success, and we look forward to exceeding your expectations.
- Our customer service is unmatched. You will have a dedicated digital marketing manager who answers your calls, responds to your email, and provides regular updates on the progress of your campaigns. Our company believes in that personal connection. When you have questions or want to talk, we are here.
- You own everything we do. All the work we do ─ web design, content, creative assets, podcasts, etc. ─ belongs to you. All the accounts we set up, such as Google analytics, are in your firm’s name. We don’t think you will ever want to leave Consultwebs, but if you do, we won’t hold you hostage.
We Care About Your Law Firm’s Success
“Every time I’ve talked with whomever I’ve had helping me at the company, they’ve taken it to heart like it was their own business.”
Charles R. Ullman
Board-Certified Family Law Attorney in North Carolina
Consultwebs Client Since 2000
Are You Ready to Get More Cases from the Web? Contact Us Now
Don’t miss out on opportunities to sign more clients and grow your family law firm. Partner with Consultwebs for a family law marketing strategy that ultimately pays for itself. Contact us today for a free analysis of your current website and online marketing presence.